Saturday, November 1, 2008

"This has been a test of the EAS..."

I will swear-in as a Peace Corps volunteer in only 2 short weeks! I am over the hump of my pre-service training, and this second phase in Chuuk. We have received word that it looks as though I will be heading right out to Satawan, pretty soon after I swear-in. The government has purchased gas for the airplane and the pilot has signed the contract, but the President vetoed the first list of "airline trustees". The second list is awaiting action, but will apparently be signed, according to our sources. I don't know our sources.

Since my last post, many things have come and gone, including Halloween! So, Happy Belated Halloween! Halloween is as big here as it is in the States. The kids dress up, people give out candy, and the men...shoot guns. Admittedly, I did not hear any guns being fired. The Peace Corps volunteers rented a hotel room the night of Halloween for a going-away party for one of the volunteers who leaves Monday for home (New York).

That great institution of higher learning located just East of the state capital, Lansing, I hear, is doing well (surprisingly well) at football. Did they beat the Funiversity of Michigan? How could it be? And UM only scored two legitimate touchdowns? Uh-oh. (Okay...enough bragging, but I waited 4 years to gloat, and never got my chance. Now it comes, and I'm halfway across the globe!)

On Wednesday of last week, we had quite the surprise. While we were buying our lunch at a roadside store, a police truck slowly drove by, his lights flashing, and a looped PA announcement blaring something in Chuukese. When we got back to the training site, we were told that the police issued a Tidal Wave alert, but that it was probably just a test. PROBABLY! Of course, we called our PC Safety and Security coordinator in Pohnpei who said there was no seismic activity which could have caused anything. Life lesson: next time the TV blares that obnoxious EAS noise and the screen goes rainbow, be glad that you know "this is only a test".

Peace,
Alex

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I changed one of my home pages to be your blog. So when I open a new internet browser, it automatically checks your page. Stalker!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! One more thing to worry about!! If I were you I'd practice tree climbing to a height of about 30 ft. I'm not kidding. Get going!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I just felt obligated to point out that it took Michigan being their worst in decades for State to beat them. And they still almost didn't pull it off. the Toledo rockets beat Michigan this year. So enjoy your "victory", State.


the word verification for today is psivo. Puh-See-Voe