Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Ants Go Marching, Two by Two...Hoorah

I realized yesterday how much of a nuisance the ants are here in Chuuk, when I saw them crawling out of my keyboard as I was typing an email to my mom. It has been raining fairly consistently over the past five days, and one night I left my laptop in my bag, the exterior of which was still wet. Apparently, this attracted ants, who decided to make my only connection to the outside world their personal kingd…whoops…another one just scampered out, only to be met by the crushing weight of my fingers.

Needless to say, I have been running several programs at a time trying to smoke them out of the innards of this machine, and its been mostly successful. If I take out the battery and shake the whole computer, more fall out each time. It may just be that I’ll always have a few who missed the eviction notice. Too bad.

This most recent inconvenience represents what has become Alex’s Epic Saga Against the Ants. The Saga started when I first moved in, six weeks ago. When I awoke on the second morning, my arms and legs tingled as the several legs of too many ants marched this way and that all over my body. Jumping from my bed, I could see the trail of ants from the ceiling, down the wall, and onto my bed via a pillow propped up against the wall. In my rage, I grabbed the handyman’s secret weapon, duct tape, and began picking them up ten at a time, until they were no more.

The ants have tried to make homes in my underwear, in my tshirts, in my bag, on my floor, between the pages of my books, and most recently, in the most expensive piece of electronics I own. I have tried duct tape, bug spray, and now heat to kill them. Perhaps you have a suggestion or two, or can send ant traps or ant poison to end this bloody struggle. What the ants lack in forethought, critical analysis, basic attack mechanics, and sophisticated weaponry, they more than make up for in numbers and sheer dumb-headed persistence.

Calling in for reinforcements…
PCV Plum

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Instead of fighting the ants, you must become their leader. Train them. Lead the ant armies and become king of your island. Books and hot sauce on their way soon.

Amanda said...

Marc lies. The hot sauce is sitting in his room as we speak. I really want to read nudge, so I think I'll send you that. uh oh. He's now watching me type this. I would send ant poison but CNN is reporting we're on high terrorist alert during the transition of power and I don't want to be taken away in the night by the CIA.

Anonymous said...

Alex,
Keep up the good fight. I am glad to see that you have not succumbed to Ant submission ala Kent Brockman's "HAIL ANTS". I think the antichrist comes out from an anthill. Did I read that correctly? Maybe in Ezekiel? "Somewhere in the back........"

What about Off? Spray that near a perimeter to see if it will repel them?
Praying for you with much love.
Dad

Anonymous said...

You know what they say Alex, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. It seems as if you are extremely intimate with these "enemy" ants. I suggest you check out Gullivers' Travels...don't sleep too soundly!!
Actually, I think Marc has the right idea. Or you can squash them with the books and get them high on hot sauce!
LuAnn

Anonymous said...

I wasn't planning on leaving a comment right now but then I saw that the word verification was perdi [pur-dee] and I just couldn't pass that up.

I did a little bit of research on ant repellent and I found a list of a couple natural solutions. apparently if you put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it where they are it leaves behind a natural repellent. Also sprinkling black pepper in your entry way makes them not want to come in, as well as cayenne pepper. Same with cinnamon. some types of mint/chewing gum repels them but it doesn't say if you have to chew it first or not. and then the last one seems almost a little hard to believe but if you draw a line on the ground with chalk they won't cross it. so if you have any of those things then maybe you should try them.

but i think your best bet since you already have duct tape is to just go ahead and cover every inch of your floors, walls, and ceiling with duct tape sticky side up and have your bed in the very middle of the room. then there's no way of them getting to you unless there's flying ants also. it'll probably take you a whole day just to cover all that area with duct tape and you'll probably need to replace it every day. plus it'll be a huge waste of duct-tape, time, and money. But I think that in the end, when you don't have any ants crawling on you, you'll be glad you did it. You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Eat them... hey, it solves your fiber problem - right? Loves.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you just haven't rebuked them!!! I think poor Keith is confused about the chewing gum. The ants will never chew it and if they did, I'd get the heck out of there pronto!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Alex! At least they aren't spiders or snakes! love & prayers, Terry T

Sue Faley said...

Leave this to your Ants (no pun intented) we will send weapons ASAP!

Your blogs are the BEST!!!

Anonymous said...

My mother's pun was intended, as she spelled aunt as ant. Anywho...find out who isn't having ant problems and switch rooms. Hope to hear from you soon. Your cuz -Josh

Anonymous said...

updates please...

Ben said...

If you haven't thought of it already, try fighting fire with fire. You've already located some of the live electrical wires, try setting up an electrical fence of sorts. Hey, it worked against that kid in Jurassic Park.

- your brother