Sunday, June 28, 2009

sensory overload!

This weekend was quite the weekend for some bizarre encounters that got me all in a buzz. First, SWINE FLU!

FSM Department of Public Health has not officially confirmed a case of swine flu here on Weno, but that hasn't stopped the island from entering Defcon 4. At church on Sunday, Pastor Remi called on the Lord to save "our small island of Weno" from the pandemic. I'm right there with him... Of course, as gossip tends to go here in Micronesia, very little ever actually turns out to be true. The rumor got started last Friday, and since then, Chuuk State Hospital has been requiring all patients and visitors to don protective mouth masks upon entering, thus giving everyone the sneaking suspicion there might be some truth, and adding more fuel to the fire. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed...

Second, police car chase! Suzi, Kester, and I were standing outside at Shigeto's store (typical grocery store) waiting for our DiGiorno's pizzas to cook in their toaster oven (sweeeeet!). It was probably near 6:30pm or so, and we were just chatting, when I looked up to see a gray sedan come flying by heading south down the main road on Weno. (When I say "road" I really mean "glorified snowmobile path", as I have seen seasonal roads in upper Michigan with better maintenance; I make this aside only to stress that this car's speed, marked by the ensuing 1930s-esque Dust Bowl, was significant, considering the potholes, mud, and standing lakes of water). We all paid it very little attention, other than to scoff and roll our eyes. I, however, turned my head up the road to the north, and saw a police truck (the police in Weno drive pretty new Toyota Tundra extended cab pickups) doing a U-ey. Within a couple seconds, it, too, came blasting by, honking its horn (not using its lights and siren). Most noticeably were the two officers who had been sitting in the bed of the truck, and were now half standing/half crouching in the bed, holding on to a metal handlebar rigged across the roof of the cab behind the lights. They both looked like they were skiing, as they bobbed up and down with the truck over the mogols in the road. And if that weren't excitement enough, one had drawn his weapon, a huge, silver piece, and was holding it aimed straight up in the air! Suzi and I both sort of just looked on with our mouths agape, until we saw the gun, and both gasped.

Without making any judgment about the evasive driver, I can say that that officer's decision to draw his weapon while standing in the bed of, and barely holding on to, a careening and bouncing pickup just takes the situation to a whole new caliber of danger and misfortune. Suzi said it best: it really scares me, because that kind of action moves it to a level where something is guaranteed to happen which otherwise wouldn't have.

Third - I danced at a wedding reception! Okay, so I've danced at wedding receptions before. But not as the center of attention. Saturday night, at about 8:30pm (normally nearing my bed time), my family said "get dressed - we're going dancing!" So, in typical Chuukese fashion, I threw on a polo and some decent shorts, and ran to the car, excited for the night's festivities. We arrived early, and sat around waiting for the newly wedded couple to come. I hadn't eaten dinner yet, so I snacked on donuts, cheetos, and what I think was egg salad on a roll. One of the guys who stays with us, plus my host uncle, busted out the keyboard, and within minutes, hip Chuukese techno-pop-cum-disco were blaring and I was swept up with a mad rush of 30-something Chuukese women dancing to their hearts content. I danced two songs, but was upstaged each time by a slightly inebriated acquaintance of mine (the brother of the new husband), which was fine by me.

We left near 10pm, and I immediately went to bed. What a weekend!

5 comments:

Nick said...

Weno roads are not a place to speed. Hi to Suzi and all.

Janine said...

Wow! It's just like the "Duke's of Hazzard." Or maybe it's Weno's version of "Cops." Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Watcha gonna do when they come for you?

LuAnn said...

Nothing like a bunch of 30-something Chuukese women to really get the party started!! Rock on my delightful daring friend! Always wear those shoes with wheels in them, and then the next time a speeding truckful of pistol packing police fly past, you can grab the bumper and hang on for a free ride. Better than Cedar Point any day!

Keith said...

...

I got nothin

Unknown said...

So Alex, how was the pizza?