Friday, June 26, 2009

school year ends!

Finally! The rush of relief that surrounded the end of my first school term has ebbed and left me a little bummed that I won't get to see "my seniors" anymore, loafing around the island, playing basketball, or just lounging wherever's comfortable. I have remarked, countless times, on the stresses of teaching, made especially apparent to a "non-teacher" like myself. But maybe I've been selling myself short. Because, now that I'm reflecting on it, I take great pride, and find much solace, in the fact that, despite all the inefficiencies and corruption of this sprawling bureaucracy, I have accomplished something far more important and lasting: the education of people.

I have relied on that fact. And, no doubt, I will continue to rely on the hope that my work educating students will pay off in each of their lives one day. It has been my prayer that I would remember to keep a servant's attitude about myself each day I put on my Peace Corps Face. No matter how late the school year starts, how often we go without food, how many delays prevent entrance exam testing - the simple accumulation of English language knowledge opens doors immediately for the young men and women of Mortlocks High School.

Even though "summer vacation" will always have an irresistable tug at my heart, deep down I just hope the school year was long enough to have done it well and to have done it right. All of this, with an eye toward September...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait, you're off until September? If you don't write a novel or learn another language I'm going to be very disappointed.

Janine said...

I'm with Marcalle. I see no reason that you can't learn at least one language and write something like "War and Peace." I mean, you have until September. I think the fact that you're hanging around grocery stores with Luke Duke is not a good sign.

Granny said...

Forget the book. Summer vacations are what teachers everywhere live for. We are sending another care package. Hopefully it will get there before Christmas. Love you much Granny