Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

First Thanksgiving in America since 2007, and the Lions lost. Welcome home, eh? As I ate turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole - the usual fare - I reflected on the 3 Thanksgivings I celebrated at High Tide restaurant in Chuuk. I ate the same food there (with the addition of spam-fried rice, of course), and I did so in the company of friends. Even though it was nice to be with my family again today, I miss my M74, 75, and 76 friends who made the past three "last Thursdays in November" a family experience.


So today I'm giving thanks for all the people who made my last three years in Micronesia a remarkable, unforgettable experience.  I'm thanking them for challenging my notions about what development means, and thus starting a process in my head of evaluation and criticism about what comes next for me. I'm thankful for the relationships which grounded my work, provided inherent value to the work I accomplished, and gave context to the larger questions and ideas (faith, spirituality, human empowerment, sustainable development) which are my passion.

Today's Thanksgiving meal was what I had been wanting for the three years I was gone - Mom's green bean casserole, Aunt Stacie's salsa, and the Lions' usual sub-par performance.  But I really missed the High Tide waitresses and the Ran Annim welcome as I walked through the glass doors.

No comments: