Monday, February 8, 2010

the long haul...

I am leaving tomorrow for Moch by way of the 8-seater twinprop Caroline Islands Air plane. The next five months will be the longest continuous stint that I'm going to get, my entire service considered. I couldn't be more excited for it.

We have a saying among Mortlocks PCVs that one should never rush out there, because once you get to your island, you realize how obsolete your conception of 'time' is. If it weren't for the daily ringing of the school bell, I would become perfectly local, at least in terms of planning and scheduling: "m'eh - whenever..." To take one's time in travelling out there, however, helps smooth the rough edges where the hectic, daily grind of cars and clocks and caffeine butt against the slow pace of gently rolling wind and waves.

The students and staff of the high school on Moch continue to be the most rewarding part of my service, and I am excited to think about what they have in store for me next. It's funny - I came into Peace Corps to learn about "development on the ground." Ironically, what I've learned (and I've learned much) has perhaps been the least appealing and most frustrating part of being a PCV. Teaching, on the other hand, was the 'job' I dreaded, but it's been the golden ticket in this Wonka-bar experience.

Think about me, pray for the people of Moch, and feel free to send Starbucks decaf coffee (pre-ground 'medium' or for an 'electric-perc' coffee-maker - its for my french press). I miss you already!

Peace,
Alex

1 comment:

Uncle G said...

Big Al...I was just cleaning up obsolete emails from to many months, and ran across your blog (no, I'm not a bloggee, blogger, whatever the term is), and thought I'd write. You're sounding full of spunk, and tho' leaving your home again was rough, that's exactly what makes you tough(er). Surprised to hear you speak about another year, but that world tour you talk about will still be there. I've thought about you, regarding your Poli Sci @ MSU (by the by, Izzo & co. must beat Mich this Sunday to secure a tie for the Big Ten), as I get emails from an org called Project Vote Smart (PVS),they have groups of young college and post college interns (?)in this org all across the country, and alot of them write these blogs from some interesting places in the mountains of Wyoming ,the Great Divide, etc, etc..., it sounds like they're enjoying their jobs built around politics, especially trying to bring some truth to the various races, and candidates running. They actually bring a different style of information to my work, and they also follow legislation in Congress. I just wondered if you've heard of them. Keep you head and heart up! And, thanks for serving! Your Fav Uncle...Gary