Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Knock before entering...

Two posts on the same day - sorry, but this story is worth telling. While I am here on the big island (Weno, or sometimes I just call it "Chuuk" for simplicity sake), I have a host family to stay with - mostly so Peace Corps doesn't have to pay for a hotel for a number of weeks for me (and the rest of the outer island volunteers, too). I am now living with the extended family of my new permanent Moch host family here in Weno. They live on the other side of Weno away from the busy downtown, and it is incredibly beautiful there - even a river leading up to a waterfall!

The one problem - and yes, there is only one - is a significant one, because it has to do with the bathroom situation. Attached to the house is a patio, and on the end of the patio are two rooms which adjoin. One room is the bathroom (toilet and bucket shower), and the other room is where my extended family's grandmother stays. So far, so good. Until I went to take my shower the other night.

The two rooms connect via a door in the wall. As I entered the bathroom and closed that door behind me, I turned to the second door connecting to grandma's room and pulled it shut. Only, it doesn't shut - it only goes about half way before it gets stuck on a pole that is in the way. WHY IS THERE A POLE IN THE WAY??? Oh, I forgot to tell you: because Grandma is blind, and when she needs to use the potty, she follows the railing that rests on the pole into the bathroom, where a second railing directs her to the toilet.

Needless to say, I haven't used the toilet at my new host family's house. Because from the seat, not only can I see into grandma's room, but I can see grandma, too. And even though grandma can't see me, she can still hear me. And this makes the situation a little unbearable.

Last night, my host dad told me to use the other shower room, because I think they realize that its a bit awkward for me. And barring any "emergencies", I'll probably mangage for the next week or so until I can get out to Moch.

Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny! Privacy can be a problem on the islands :))

Anonymous said...

hehehe!!!...funny...yes it can be