Sunday, September 28, 2008

My placement!

Hello all...sorry for the long wait in sending you info! I will be placed on Satawan Island of Chuuk State - no electricity, no internet, no phone! I leave on 10/4 for Chuuk, but I will be in the capital of Weno for 6 weeks until I depart for the island. During that time I will hopefully have access to internet/phone.

My new address is (effective immediately):
Alex Plum, Peace Corps
PO Box 39
Weno, Chuuk, FM
96942

If you send me a blank CD I can burn you some of the pictures I’ve been taking and then send it back to you (loading images onto the computer is very, very expensive and time consuming). Yesterday I went to the ruins of Nan Madol, one of the first ports/kingdoms/forts built on the southern coast of Madolenihmw thousands of years ago. After taking pictures of the ruins, you can swim out to an outpost about 50 yards off the coast, climb to the top, and jump off into the waters below, about 20 feet down. It was about an hour walk from my host family’s home.

The Ringlen family is hosting me here. Rizal and Jayleen (30 and 28, respectively) are the parents of Rijay (10), Richie (6), and Richen (1 ½). Rizal’s dad, Edwin, also lives with us (I believe it is Edwin’s house). It’s a great place to stay; tile floors, big kitchen, my own room, running water toilet, and a bucket shower (fun experience). The kids are interested in all the weird gadgets that I brought, from my iPod (current favorite song is the theme from Snakes on a Plane) to my computer (taught Rijay how to use MS Word last night..hahaha) to my camera (they like to mimic Western culture whenever I take their pictures, which basically means they turn into gangsta thugs and flip the bird…thanks, USA).

Well, that’s enough updates for now. Hopefully I will have more regular internet connection for the 6 weeks I’m in Weno for the second phase of Pre Service Training. Once I’m placed on Satawan, however, these posts will come monthly at best…such is the life of a Peace Corps soon-to-be Volunteer.

Peace,
Alex

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex! Keith just showed me your new home thanks to Googleearth. It's crazy that technology is so advanced! I'm glad your getting along well. Course I had no doubt that you would! You're in our prayers, love Terry

Abby said...

I suppose it's up to you to show those kids what western culture is really like, although that did make me laugh. Glad to hear you've got a nice place to stay!

Joseph said...

Haha hilarious. I love that Cobra Starship song. Glad to hear you brought the finest music we have to offer. You've already taught them about presenting, no?

Anonymous said...

I just had a thought...maybe if you pretend to be a really slow learner you'll have to stay on the big island a while longer. Oh, get the bug spray out and take a shower in it!! The supplies you've asked for will be sent tomorrow. (9/30)

Love,
Mom

LuAnn said...

Alex
Alex of Chuuk. Awesome. I asked God if he knew where Chuuk was, and he assures me that he does. :)
Are you wearing sunscreen? I hope you so...
Lu

Unknown said...

Bev-

You should probably let those kids listen to a little Wham and make them do the obnoxious dance with it... that might get you kicked out of the house though? I applied to go to South Africa this summer.. my parents are THRILLED. I used your experience as leverage in the argument. Have fun with the bucket shower.. sounds like a real blast!
Love, Yolanda.

Unknown said...

The king of gadgets. What is the world coming to if this is true. I thought you were the king zebra? Better work on restoring your reputation.

And what are you complaining about bucket baths for? At least you don't have to run to the stream to get the water to bathe in...and you call this third world.

Anonymous said...

Al,

I LITERALLY lol'd in my office when I read about your gangsta roomies. I love you, so much. Some fun things will be sent this afternoon, along with some fiber pills - don't let your impressionables think they're drugs.

Love,
Your Wifey.

Tim said...

You jerk! You never told me that you were joining me in the Peace Corps! Congrats, and good luck! Add me to whatever email updates you send out. It sounds like you might not be getting on very often.

I was actually originally nominated to serve in the Pacific, but they lost my medical papers so I had to wait for another assignment. Keep in touch, dude.

Anonymous said...

Alex,
We finally turned on the heat here in Swartz Creek. You probably don't have that problem there - that's a good thing! We got Google Earth also and looked up Satawan. It looks somewhat populated..... I did see some buildings - not just straw huts so that's encouraging. Keep up the good fight and remember our marching orders - Micah 6:8
Dad

samuel Manuel said...

Good to know you are there to help my fellow islanders on Satowan, I am now residing in Oregon, born and raised on Satowan Island. After living in US for many years, I moved back to Satowan and boy did I missed hamburgur and fresh stake. I'm not sure when you'll read this email, but I know you will for sure as soon as you're back on Weno Island. But I wish you the best on your stay there. Please say hi to my mom, (Markary) I know the people there will take care of you the best they can, with what they have. May God bless you and your stay on Satowan. You will be in our prayers Alex.
Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need my assistance as far as cultural advice or whatever help you may need., You have a friend here in Oregon from Satowan Island.
Samuel R. Manuel
samuelr.manuel@gmail.com
541 499-0723